HOW ARE THE OBSTACLE RACES GOING AHEAD? (updated 17th September)
We are proceeding with these events under measures which have been granted & approved by our local authority. In order to comply with & offer our #nuclearfamily the safest experience we are taking the following steps:
- We are reducing our maximum event capacity from 12,000 to 4,000 racers.
- Every racer & supporting grown-up will be temperature checked inside the car on arrival – a face-covering must be applied to all adults and any child 11yrs or over. Face coverings must be worn from the car/carpark to registration/check-in through to the briefing, warm-up, at the start & finish. It can be removed when you are in the release pen at the start. Rookies & supporting grown-ups do not need to wear a face-covering when on the course or at obstacles but MUST carry one for the duration of the race – to be used if the 2m distancing rule can not be obtained at or near obstacles. A face-covering will be given to every supporting adult & Rookie over 11yrs as they cross the finish line & must be worn immediately. There are no exceptions to this rule. There are no exemptions for not wearing a face-covering whether it be medical or any other reason.
- Groups of up to 30 people up to 2-3 metres socially distanced will be allowed in any one area.
- We are operating social distancing systems, touchless check-in, temperature checking, track & trace & wave/group sizes of 6 people released every minute.
- There will be continuous obstacle sanitisation in operation.
- Racers are encouraged to use the full width of every obstacle & keep apart at all times.
THERE IS STRICTLY NO SPECTATOR ACCESS TO THE EVENT.
- There’s a new online ticket price to reflect the event change due to COVID-19.
- Every Rookie racer (regardless of age) will need to be supported on the children’s course by one adult (18yrs+) who can run/walk alongside maintaining social distancing at all times. The adult is a chaparone and will not be undertaking the obstacles – there is no extra charge. A ratio of 1 adult to 3 children is acceptable if in the same age category. If you have mixed age categories running together, one adult per age category will be needed.
- Why do Rookies now have to be accompanied by a supporter?
- New no spectator restrictions put in place by PHE & Public Health Essex
- Children must be checked in by an adult in the one-way system
- Children need to be accompanied at the finish & to the car-park
- Marshals will be unable physically help your child should they need it
- The car-park will be relocated right next to the start/finish making it easier/quicker to arrive & exit once finished.
- There will be a NO event village compared to previous events including no live music.
- There will be no bag-drop, changing tent or showers. A Shaken Udder milkshake will be given to all ROOKIES & there is a car-key only key-drop.
- There will only be one finish survivor photo.
- There will be a slightly reduced obstacle count – approx. 18 on every lap
- There will be no zip-lines included in this event.
- A maximum of 5 racers will start together. If part of a team or running with buddies make sure you meet up before registering & enter the one way system together or you may not be able to start/run with them. You will not be permitted to meet up with other groups of racers once registered or out on the course. Individual racers DO NOT have to stay in their ‘start group’ – run your own race-pace maintaining social distancing at all times.
- Wave start times stay the same but do expect a rolling, staggered start which may not adhere to your published time.
- Racers must run on the left side of the course using the right side for overtaking only.
- There will be reduced mud & water obstacles to keep in line with current Covid guidelines & we may have to change planned obstacles to stay in line with government & local authority updates.
WHAT HASN’T CHANGED..
- There will be a Nuclear MC, warm-up & banging Nuclear atmosphere & race-day experience.
- There will be camping, limited choice of food/drinks to purchase & Nuclear kit shop near the car-park.
- The courses are as always well-designed, fun & challenging #TRUSTNUCLEAR
- All Rookies are chip-timed – results available
- There will be all the usual high standards of water-safety, medical attendance & marshal support.
- There will be a 2020 medal, downloadable certificate & one Shaken Udder milkshake for all finishers.
- These restrictions are correct at time of web update.
Rookies can test their skills on a specially designed fun 1.5/3km course filled with around 18 kid’s sized & guaranteed Nuclear #LOVEMUD! Rookies will climb in & out of the muddiest ditches, scrabble under cargo nets, crawl through tyre tunnels, over ramps & walls as well as running in woods, on paths & open fields.
Rookies 4-8 years of age complete one lap of the 1.5km course. 9-14 year old Rookies complete the 1.5km lap twice (3km).
Older (9yrs+) & younger children (4-8yrs) can now race in the same wave together.
ADULT SUPPORTER ETIQUETTE: Float alongside & step in with help over obstacles if the child needs it, but stepping back from the course, so it’s clear for other participants.
THE VIBE: There’s no pressure to complete the obstacles – we want Rookie obstacle racers to grow in confidence from their experience.
- Every Rookie is chip timed, results available post-race.
- Medals are presented to Rookies as they cross the finish-line.
- Expect a short pre-race briefing & warm-up at the start to get the blood racing.
- Bring water to drink.